Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Gyudon-Japanese Beef Bowl

This is another fast and easy dish I introduced J. It's a beef dish that is simmered in a sweet soy broth. I think the first time he tried it was from Yoshinoya. J lived in So. Cali. (my old stomping ground) briefly while we were dating. When I went to visit him over summer break I told him there are several fast food places you just have to try when you are in Southern California: Jack in the Box, Carl's Jr., Yoshinoya and of course my all time favorite In-N-Out. I'm ashamed to say that it wasn't until two years ago that I started making it at home. It is one of those dishes that you can alter the recipe according to your liking.

Today the beef I'm using is the thin/shaved beef loin use for ShabuShabu from Nippan Daido, a Japanese market in White Plains, NY. 
  • 1 lb of thinly sliced beef  (you can also use pork or chicken)
  • 1 tbs butter
  • 1 tbs sugar
  • 1 small onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 cloves of minced garlic
  • 1 cup water mix with 1/2 tsp dashi powder (I leave the homemade dashi making to my aunts)
  • 2 tbs mirin
  • 3 tbs low sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tbs Memmi Noodle Soup Base (optional)
  • 1 tbs Sake (optional)
  • red pickle ginger for garnish (optional)
Saute onion and garlic in butter until onion is translucent then add sugar, water dashi mix, mirin, memmi, sake in the pan. Let it simmer for about 5 minutes then add the beef. Simmer for another 10 minutes, stir it occasionally. Taste the broth and adjust your seasonings, you know if it's too salty add more water or add more sugar if it's not sweet enough. Serve over white steamed rice. 

For veggie, I just sauted baby bok choy with garlic in vegetable oil. 

No comments:

Post a Comment