Search This Blog

Friday, April 29, 2011

Blackberry Apple Muffins

Tomorrow I'm going with my cousin T to her bridal salon appointment (awww..my little cousin is growing up). Since I'll be passing my parent's house and I was bored at 10 PM, I wanted to bake something that's quick and easy to bring to them. After looking in the fridge I found the fresh blackberries I got from TJ's earlier this week that I totally forgot about and also saw a Fuji apple. After looking around online I found a blackberry muffin recipe on Simply Recipe. Since I can never just follow a recipe I decided to change it up a bit. 

Blackberry Apple Muffins
  • 1 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 cup almond meal from Trader Joe's 
  • 1 tsb baking soda
  • 1/2 tsb baking power
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsb lemon zest
  • 1 cup sour cream (I used reduced fat)
  • 1 tsb milk
  • 1 sticks, 8 tbs melted butter
  • 1 tsb vanilla
  • 1 1/2 cup fesh blackberries (I added a little more)
  • 1 1/2 cup diced apple
  • sprinkle a thin layer of sugar on the muffins before baking (optional)
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Make sure the rack is in the middle of the oven. Grease or line muffin pans. The batter makes about 18 muffins. 

Mix together all the dry ingredients in a bowl. In another bowl mix the wet ingredients together until well blended (excluding blackberries and apple).  Stir the wet and dry ingredients until the batter comes together. DO NOT over mix! Stir in apples, then the blackberries. Be gentile so you don't turn the berries into mush. Divide the batter evenly into the muffin cups and sprinkle some sugar on top.  Bake for 18 mins or until a toothpick is inserted into the center of the muffin and it comes out clean. Let it cool for about 5 mins before you take the muffins out of the pan. 



No comments:

Post a Comment