Search This Blog

Friday, September 23, 2011

Apple Banana Bread

I've notice I make a lot of Banana Bread. I think it has to do with the fact that I'm not a big fan of ripe bananas. My perfect banana for eating is yellow with a little green in color and J's favorite are the ones that are borderline overripe. But since the window for the banana to turn overripe is very small normally we end up with a few bananas that are too mushy for his taste. I hate wasting food so these overripe bananas end up being banana breads. Today I made Apple Banana Bread which has chopped Granny Smith apples in them. Sometimes I would make a Streusel topping but today I just sprinkled White Sparkling Sugar (coarser than sanding sugar) for the extra crunch. You can also use Sugar in the Raw if you don't have Sparking Sugar in hand.


Apple Banana Bread

  • 1/2 cup room temperature unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup sour cream
  • 1 1/2 cup mashed overripe bananas
  • 2 medium Granny Smith apples, chopped 
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsb cinnamon 
  • 1/4 tsp salt
Preheat over to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x5 loaf pan

Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon in a bowl. In a different bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add sour cream, mashed bananas, vanilla and eggs until combined. Add the flour mixture to the wet banana mixture and then mix until combined, do not over mix. Stir in the chopped apples into the batter. Pour the mixture to the loaf pan then sprinkle the sugar on top and bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean.



No comments:

Post a Comment