Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Very First Attempt at Making Caramel Candy.


 Soft, chewy caramel. Who can resist? When I was young I used to eat A LOT of candy (have the cavities to prove it!) but the older I get it seems like I stopped eating so much sweets. I know it sounds crazy since I bake all the time but most of the time I only have one or two bites. One thing that I can not resist is caramel.  From chewy sweet caramel with tart Granny Smith apple to the Fleur de Sel Caramels from Dean and Deluca or William Sonoma, I seriously love them all. I've always been hesitant to make any sort of candy involving hot molten sugar since it just seems dangerous. While I was doing my usual browsing for new recipes I found a super easy sounding recipe from Science of Cooking.
There are countless versions of caramel recipes, some calls for condense milk, some calls for heavy cream, some with or without corn syrup. This ones seems like the easiest since you put almost all the ingredients into one pot and bring it up to 248 degrees F. The end result wasn't as pretty as I wanted but it was tasty. Not bad for my first time making caramel. The butter did separate a little from the caramel after it was poured into the pan (oily looking) but I think it had to do with the fact that I was getting impatient and kept turning the heat up and down. I just blot the cooled caramel block with paper towel.

Cream/sugar/salt.














After adding butter. 















Cooking on med low heat. 














Temperature is around 210. 

About 225 degrees. The bubbles look bigger than 210. 

It's ready! Add vanilla extract at this stage. 

Caramel block, you can see it looks really oily. 

After I blot the cooled block with paper towel and started to cut. 

Wrapped in wax paper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment