Search This Blog

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Cinnamon Buns with Cream Cheese Icing

I've been wanting to make cinnamon buns from scratch for a while. It's so easy to just pick up some Cinnabon at the mall or use the can stuff. I have no problem making a two-tier fondant covered cake but have this aversion to making bread or any recipes involves yeasts. It just seems so long and boring. Lots of kneading and spending hours waiting for the dough to rise.

Since I have lot of time on hand being a temporary housewife plus J wanted cinnamon buns, I decided to tackle my fear today. I Googled cinnamon buns and countless searches popped up. Boy, there sure are many versions of cinnamon buns. How am I going to choose which recipe to use?

I decide  to use the Cinnamon Swirl Buns recipe from Smitten Kitchen as a start. I didn't have whole milk so I used 1% for the dough. For the filling, since I ran out of ground cinnamon, I only used 1 tablespoon cinnamon plus 1/2 tsp nutmeg instead of 2 tablespoons cinnamon (most recipes I found calls for 1 tablespoon cinnamon anyways). I love the combo of nutmeg and cinnamon with my oatmeal raisin cookies so I thought it can't be too bad in the cinnamon bun.

Instead of baking the buns all at once, I only baked one pan. I read online that I can either freeze cinnamon rolls after baking or before. I let both pans rise for another 40 minutes after rolling and cutting but wrapped one of the pans really well with plastic wrap and aluminum wrap before putting in the freezer. I'm hoping freezing the unbaked cinnamon buns will turn out well since nothing beats smelling cinnamon buns on a weekend morning without having to wake up at crack of dawn to make it.













No comments:

Post a Comment