Search This Blog

Friday, April 6, 2012

French Apple Cake

 I was racking my brain on what to make for Easter Sunday. I went through all my favorite food blogs for inspirations. There are tons of great recipes for beautiful cakes and pies but one very simple recipe from David Lebovitz caught my eye. It's so easy that I didn't even need to use the KitchenAid. What I like most about it compare to a lot of other apple cakes is that there are more apple than cake plus it requires very few ingredients. I made some changes to the recipe since I didn't have any dark rum, only light rum. Also I sprinkled some toffee bites on the cake.

Christi's version of French Apple Cake

  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 4 large apples, diced (a mix of varieties, but I used Gala and Granny Smith)
  • 2 large eggs, at room temperature
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3 tbs light rum (or dark rum)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract (or 1/2 tsp if using dark rum)
  • 1 stick (8 tbs) unsalted butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
  • 1/2 cup toffee bites (I used Hershey brand)
Preheat the oven to 350 F degrees.







Butter an 8- or 9-inch (20-23cm) springform pan and place it on a baking sheet. (I used two 9 inch round cake pans). In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Peel and core the apples, then dice them into 1-inch (3cm) pieces. 








In a large bowl, beat the eggs until foamy then whisk in the sugar, then rum and vanilla. Whisk in half of the flour mixture, then gently stir in half of the melted butter. Stir in the remaining flour mixture, then the rest of the butter.






Fold in the apple cubes until they’re well-coated with the batter and scrape them into the prepared cake pan and smooth the top a little with a spatula. After this step I sprinkled the top of the batter with toffee bites. 














Bake the cake for 50 minute to 1 hour, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean (If you used two pans like I did, bake for 35 minutes). Let the cake cool for 5 minutes, then run a knife around the edge to loosen the cake from the pan and carefully remove the sides of the cake pan, making sure no apples are stuck to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment