Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Homemade Bathroom Cleaners

Since I've been on this "Homemade Solutions" kick, I've found tons of great blogs/websites for green/homemade remedies. One of my favorite is One Good Thing by Jillee. She has tons of great homemade solutions from cleaning to beauty products. I have tried her "Miracle Cleaner" on caked on cookie sheets with good results.

I found a mildew and soap scum soft scrub recipe somewhere and used to to scrub off all the tough soap scum build up in my shower/tub about 3 days ago. Today I noticed some light build up and since I didn't feel like spending more than 5 minutes cleaning the shower/tub, I decided to try the Tub and Shower Spray Jill had posted. 

All you need is a spray bottle and equal parts of heated distilled vinegar and Dawn Original "Blue" dish soap. In her post she mentioned that the 1:1 ratio of soap and vinegar took too long to rinse off so I just use 1 part soap and 2 parts vinegar. Since my show/tub area is not that big I cut the recipe in half. Just a heads up, the smell of vinegar is VERY strong, I just opened the window to ventilate the room. I rinsed off the solution after about 10 minutes instead of an hour since I just scrubbed the shower/tub with my homemade Mildew and Soap Scum Buster (recipe below) not too long ago so the soap scum wasn't too bad. 

I'm so impressed with this spray! It is so easy to make and works very well. I will definitely be using this on a regular basis. 



Shiny fixture without using elbow grease.


























* It seems like Dawn Original "Blue" is highly recommended for a variety of homemade remedies so it's good to keep a bottle on hand. 

Bathroom Cleaner: Mildew and Soap Scum Buster
  • 1 2/3 cups baking soda
  • 1/2 cup liquid soap
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons white vinegar
1. Mix baking soda and liquid soap in a bowl. Dilute with water and add the vinegar. Stir the mixture with a fork until any lumps have been dissolved. 
2. Apply the mixture to area you want to clean and scrub with a sponge. Rinse off with water. 

No comments:

Post a Comment