Search This Blog

Friday, June 15, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent Update

Back in end of April I posted about making my own laundry detergent (recipe click here-laundry detergent). I'm still hesitant to use it on my darks so only been using it on my whites and lights. So far it's been working out quite well. I noticed that I have about 1 1/2 cup left so I decided to put the Fels-Naptha (don't remember the exact cost but was less than $1 a bar) I got at Walmart to use.

Fels-Naptha has a very strong fragrance comparing to the Dr. Bronner's castile bar soap so I made sure I grated the soap in a well ventilated area. Fels-Naptha was a lot harder to grate than the castile soap so I had to work my arm muscles extra hard. I also added extra 1/2 cup of OxyClean to the mixture since several bloggers had done the same and thought it boosted the cleaning power of homemade detergents. I just dumped the mixture into the same container with the remanning castile soap based detergent. 

I found no difference in cleaning power between using castile soap vs. Fels-Naptha. The only difference is that Fels-Naptha has a very strong detergent smell but then it kind of fades after the washing cycle. There is however a small price difference in cost since the castile soap cost about $4 per bar. 

I told my mom about making my own detergent and she was really impressed. She mentioned that maybe when my brother Josh comes home for Christmas I should make him a batch to take back to CA since it will be more gentile on his skin due to him having Eczema. If I make a batch for him I will stick with the castile soap since Fels-Naptha has a lot of chemical in it. Dr.Bronner's comes in different scents so I think I will try lavender or citrus scent next time. 

The yellow specks are grated Fels-Naptha.





















** For J and I, a batch of this homemade detergent will last us about 4 months.  I normally do about 3-4 loads a week. 
** Keep in mind that I only wash my whites and lights with the homemade detergent, for darks and bright colors I use Woolite Extra Dark Care/Tide.
** Since I wash my whites and lights in warm water I just use "regular" size grate. If you wash your clothes in cold water you should use the "fine" size of your grater or use your food processor to get it to a very fine powdering texture or it won't dissolve completely in your washer. 




No comments:

Post a Comment