Search This Blog

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Trader Joe's Fresh Pizza Dough and All Natural Ground Beef

There were two new things I got from Trader Joe's yesterday. The All Natural Ground Beef and the Fresh Pizza Dough. I made meatballs yesterday and saved some for the pizza tonight. The ground beef was the same price as the one I got from Saugatuck Craft Butchery but I think I prefer the taste and texture of the meatballs made from the Saugatuck Craft Butchery. 

Not that the ground beef wasn't tasty from Trader Joe's, in fact the meatballs were pretty good. I just feel the grass-feed ground beef was definitely superior. For some reason the meat is super red and even after cooking the meatballs (they were rather small in size) for an hour the center was still really pink even though it was fully cooked. 

Since J is picky when it comes to pizza so we don't normally make it at home. We have frozen pizza on occasion but that's only when I'm too tired to cook which is not often. I understand where he's coming from since nothing beats a good brick oven pizza. Our favorites are from Via Sforza in Westport and of course Pepe's.

 I got a log of fresh Mozzarella so I made stuffed crust pizzas. To prevent the crusts from being soggy since I loaded the pizzas with insane amount of toppings, I pre-baked the crust for about 8 minutes before piling on the toppings. 

Today I also committed one of the Cardinal Sins of Food Blogging. Forgetting to take a picture of the end result! We were so hungry that we quickly wolfed down the pizzas. The homemade pizzas weren't bad at all, obviously not as good as the ones we get from Pepe's or Sforza but better than some homemade pizzas we had in the past. The pre-baking really helped. 

Mozz stuffed crust!


Toppings.

Pre-bake the crust for about 10 minutes for a
crunchy thin crust. 

J's super loaded meat pie: ham, fresh/shredded Mozz,
tomato, green pepper, meatball and pepperoni. 

My Hawaiian pie. 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for naming us as one of your favorite places to get pizza!!

    -The Via Sforza Family

    ReplyDelete
  2. You welcome, we love everything at Via Sforza!

    ReplyDelete