Search This Blog

Saturday, October 6, 2012

Caramel Apple Cider Cookies (Semi Disastrous!)

Even though the Apple Cider Caramel is sublime on its own, I still can't help it to try to put it into other baked goods. Thought about making a caramel apple pie but I think I might save that for Thanksgiving.    I searched on Pinterest and found recipes for apple cider cookies. Majority of the recipes call for using apple cider instant mix but I couldn't find any at my local Stop and Shop and Trader Joe so I just use regular apple cider and reduced it by boiling.

Everything was fine until the cookies were in the oven for about 8 minutes, the caramel started oozing out of them!! I'm not sure if it's because I used homemade caramel and not the Kraft caramel squares since I had use Kraft caramel for other cookies before and never had this problem. Or it could be because I overfilled the cookies with caramel. I was glad that I used parchment to line my cookie sheet or else it would of been a bitch to clean up. 














Suddenly I got this idea to place the dough balls in muffin tins that way they still bake up round and if caramel escape again at least it will be contained. Thank goodness it worked!!! 




















The original Caramel Apple Cider Cookies recipe can be found at The Cooking Photographer

Caramel Apple Cider Cookies 
makes about 3 dozen cookies, pending on the size
  • 3 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, soften 
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup reduced apple cider (boiled down from 1/2 cup)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 14 onces of chewy Kraft caramel squares 
  • sugar for rolling the dough, I used Turbinado raw sugar (optional)
Preheat oven to 350° F. Line cookie sheets with parchment or a silpat.  (so if the caramel oozes out it the cookies won't stick to the cookie sheet)
In a small bowl mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg .  In another bowl, cream together butter, sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in eggs, one at a time then add the vanilla and reduced apple cider.  Gradually add flour mixture to the wet mixture. Mix until just combined.
Scoop out cookie dough ball with a cookie scoop (about 2 tablespoons).  Press the caramel into the center of your dough and seal the dough around it, covering it completely. Shape the dough into a ball and roll it in sugar (optional) then place on parchment covered cookie sheets about 3 inches apart.
Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until the cookies are slightly brown around the edges. Allow cookies to cool  until slight warm to the touch or you WILL burn your mouth when you eat them. 


Disaster!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment