Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Red Velvet Cupcakes

I will be making a cake for a friend's MIL's birthday this weekend. It will be a two-tier cake, red velvet and chocolate. I will be using the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate cake recipe for the chocolate tier but I was looking for a different red velvet cake recipe than the one I have used in the past. The red velvet recipe I had use in the past results in a dark red color and also it's a dense cake. I wanted something lighter so after much search I came across the Cakeman Raven recipe on FoodNetwork.com.

I remembered watching the episode of Bobby Flays Throwdown where Cakeman Raven from Brooklyn won with his red velvet cake. Since this is a a test batch, I cut the Cakeman Raven recipe in half. The result is a light moist cake that is brightly colored. I did altered the recipe a little.

Souther Red Velvet Cake Cupcakes
Inspired by Cakeman Raven recipe
makes 12 standard size cupcakes

  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cups sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoon cocoa powder
  • 2/3 cups vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
  • 1 large eggs, at room temperature
  • 1tbs red food coloring (I prefer Wilton No Taste Red)
  • 1/2 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place cupcake liner into the cupcake pan.

Sift together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder in a large bowl. In another bowl, mix the remaining wet ingredients until well incorporated. Add the dry sifted ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix until the batter is smooth, do not over mix! 

Fill each cupcake liner up to 2/3 full. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until when you insert a toothpick into the center of a cupcake and it comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan for about 5 minutes then transport them to a wire rack to cool completely. Frost with your favorite cream cheese frosting recipe! Just make sure you cut the frosting recipe in half or you will be left with too much frosting, not a bad thing in my book. 




No comments:

Post a Comment