Search This Blog

Friday, March 22, 2013

Baby Shower Cupcakes for Work

My colleague James and his wife are expecting their first baby! All of us at work decided to throw him a surprised baby shower/pot luck. Me being me, of course I had to bring dessert. I decided on making chocolate cake filled with Strawberry Swiss Meringue Buttercream and top with Whipped Ganache frosting. I also decorate the top with fondant cut outs. Can you guess what the baby's initial will be??

I brought 12 to work and let J bring 12 to his co-workers too.

For the cake part, I used Ina Garten's Beatty's Chocolate cake recipe. Makes 24 standard sized cupcakes.

For the Swiss meringue, if you are only filling the cake with it, you want to divide the recipe by 5 since it's a lot of buttercream.  I made a big batch so I can freeze it (last up to 8 weeks in air tight container) for later use. The recipe I used is from Sweetapolita.

Strawberry Swiss Meringue Buttercream
  • 1 cup of Vanilla Swiss Meringue Buttercream
  • 2 tbs of strawberry preserves
Beat the ingredients together until well incorporated. If the mixture is runny, beat in some powdered sugar (2-3 tbs). 

Chocolate Ganache Piped Frosting
  • 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 12 oz semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 tbs light corn syrup
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tbs room temperature unsalted butter
In a double boiler, melt chocolate chips in heavy whipping cream. Take the melted chocolate mixture off the heat then mix in light corn syrup and vanilla extra. Let the mixture cool (room temperature). Whip in the butter with your electric mixer on high speed until the mixture is a whipped frosting consistency. 








No comments:

Post a Comment