Search This Blog

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Black Forest Cupcakes

Thursday was a bittersweet day at work. It was Kelly's last day. She has been a joy to work with since I first started at my current company. She is such a sweet person and always there to offer help when I needed.  She got a better position that is closer to her new home so even though I didn't want her to leave, I am very exited and happy for her new adventure!

For her last day, I made the crowd favorite- Twinkies Cupcakes and also Black Forest Cupcakes. These were inspired by the $2.99/lb cherries I saw at Stop and Shop earlier this week.

I posted the Twinkies Cupcakes before so this post will be about these Black Forest Cupcakes.

Black Forest Cupcakes
makes 36 cup

Cherry Filling: I made it from scratch but if you can use cherry pie filling

  • 16 oz of defrosted pitted sweet cherries with the juice
  • 1 tbs sugar 
  • 1 tbs honey
  • 2 tsp lemon zest
  • 1 tbs lemon juice
  • 1 tbs cornstarch with 2 tbs of the cherry juice

Combined cherries/juice, sugar, honey, lemon zest, lemon juice ingredients into a small pot. Bring it to a boil. Add the corn starch/cherry juice mixture. Bring the mixture up to boil and reduce heat to let it bubble and thickened. Let the filling cool.



Cake:
I used the trusted Ina Garten recipe for the chocolate cake- Beattys chocolate cake.

Once the cupcakes are baked. Hollow out the center and then brush with Kirsch.

Frosting:

  • 3 cups of heavy whipping cream- keep it very cold
  • 3 tbs powdered sugar-add more if you like it sweeter
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
Make sure everything is very cold. From whisk to bowl to the cream. I always put the bowl and the whisk in the freezer for at least 15 minutes and only take out the cream right before mixing.
Mix the cream in a large bowl on medium speed until soft peak. Then add the powdered sugar and vanilla extract. Beat on hight speed until stiff peak forms. Do not over beat. 

Assembly:
Filled the hollowed out cake with the cherry filling. Then pipe the whipped cream on top. Top with fresh cherries or leave it as is. 


No comments:

Post a Comment